回首頁
「服務他人是你住地球應該付出的租金。」– 穆罕默德‧阿里 (拳擊手)
"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." -- Muhammad Ali, Boxer
文章搜尋
最新消息
英語島Newsletter
天天閱讀英語島,在這裡感知世界,汲取英文的養分。
 

做到這七點,再說自己值得信賴

「為何不多信任我一點?」工作或交友不免有這樣的時候,覺得以自己的態度、能力、付出,應該值得更多信賴。也許我們不經意忽略了什麼?

美國媒體Inc.有篇文章舉出令人信賴的七種特點,或許可以做為對自己的提醒。

進入本文前,想想這些說法,英文用哪個動詞更道地: (A) 符合期待 (B) 超出期待 (C) 坦承錯誤

1. They Follow Through 進行到底

People place their trust in you because you consistently (A) meet expectations and deadlines. Following through is probably the most important of all abilities. Trying hard is simply not enough. It's hard to have someone count on you if you've been (1) dropping the balls.

要獲得信任,先要能持續地符合期望、如期完成工 作。把事情進行到底,可能是最重要的一種能力。 只有努力是不夠的,總是失誤,別人很難指望你。

 

2. They Go (2) Above and Beyond 超越期望

Instead of just doing what's needed, the most trustworthy people do it extremely well.
Besides that, they offer help before being asked for. That willingness results in having faith in them.

最令人信賴的人不會只做該做的,他們會做到極佳水準。此外,他們主動提供幫助,不等人開口。這樣的做事意願,自然會建立信任感。

 

3. They Avoid Gossip 不八卦

Whispering or gossiping will sabotage any respect you've earned in the blink of an eye . What's more dangerous is thinking that you are on the righteous side. Get rid of this habit. Don't say something to someone's face, and turn around and say something different behind their back.

私下議論或八卦會在短時間內毀掉你贏得的尊重,更麻煩的是以為自己是正義的一方。請擺脫這種習慣,別剛對某人說完一段話,轉頭又講出不一樣的話。

 

4. They Maintain Authenticity 真實可靠

Authentic people don't drastically shift their attitude and behavior when they're around different people. Try keeping a consistent way to react and respond to situations, so that people think you are stable and genuine.

可靠的人不會隨周圍的人改變態度舉止。面對不同情況,保持一定的回應方式,人家才容易覺得你沉穩、真誠。

 

5. They Under-Promise 不過度承諾

promising brings under-delivering. You don't want to sound like a too-good-to-be-true commercial. Be realistic when making promises and try to (B) exceed expectations. Now, it doesn't mean to deliberately lower others' expectations when you can actually do better - eventually people realize that you just want to (3) play it safe.

過度承諾也代表你會經常無法達標。說話不要像那種好到難以置信的廣告,給承諾的時候實際點,再試著做到超出期望。注意,不是要你在明明可以表現更好的時候,刻意降低他人的期待--人家總會發現你只想打安全牌。

 

6. They (C) Own Their Mistakes 坦承錯誤

When someone is busy hiding their disadvantages or blunders, they look slimy and make people suspicious. Admit your mistakes, but fix them and prevent them from happening again.

忙著遮掩自己的缺點或疏失,就顯得卑鄙,令人起疑。承認自己的錯誤,但是想辦法改正,避免它再發生。

 

7. They Forge Relationships 經營關係

Trust doesn't happen overnight. Focus on forging beneficial and positive relationships, and then you can build trust from there.

信任不會在一夕之間冒出來。持續打造有益、正面的關係,信任感會由此而生。

 

延伸片語

1. Drop the ball

比賽失手掉球,即是指失誤或犯錯

Don't drop the ball on this one!
這件事別搞砸了!

 

2. Above and beyond 超出;遠多於

It is above and beyond what I've dreamed of.
這已遠遠超越了我的夢想。

 

3. Play it safe 打安全牌;謹慎行事

I like to play it safe with my investments.
投資方面我喜歡謹慎行事。

 

參考資料/inc.com


文/Nikki Lu
插圖/林昕慧

本文收錄於英語島English Island 2017年10月號
訂閱雜誌

加入Line好友