回首頁
「服務他人是你住地球應該付出的租金。」– 穆罕默德‧阿里 (拳擊手)
"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." -- Muhammad Ali, Boxer
文章搜尋
最新消息
英語島Newsletter
天天閱讀英語島,在這裡感知世界,汲取英文的養分。
英語便利店 春假優惠
 

跨文化批評指南

文/Nikki Lu

不要以為西方人都是同一種,不會有跨文化誤解。德國和荷蘭人最搞不懂英國人,美國人的批評多半包著糖衣,法國人連批評都很激情.....。哈佛商業評論有一篇對跨文化溝通有趣的觀察,管理專家Erin Meyer說,不同文化回饋意見的時候,說法用字都有很大差距。進入本文前,請來看看這些帶情緒的短句英文怎麼說

a) 完全不能接受
b) 這差遠了
c) 要不要隨你

Do you really get what people from different cultures mean? Let's start from this chart.
你真的懂不同文化的人在說什麼嗎?我們從這張表開始。

Anglo Dutch Translation guide

What the British Say
英國人說…

What the British Mean
他的意思其實是…

What the Dutch Understand
荷蘭人以為是…

With all due respect…
沒有冒犯之意…

I think you are wrong.
我覺得你錯了。

He is listening to me.
他聽我的。

Perhaps you would think about…I would suggest…
也許你可以考慮…我會建議…

This is an order. Do it or be prepared to justify yourself.
這是命令。照做,不然就等著幫你自己解釋。

Think about this idea and do it if you like.
考慮一下,覺得可行的話可以這樣做。

Oh, by the way…
附帶一提…

The following criticism of the purpose of the discussion is…
整段討論的目的是接下來的批評…

This is not very important.要講不重要的事了。

I was a bit disappointed that…
我有點失望…

I am very upset and angry that…
我非常生氣…

It doesn't really matter.
不嚴重。

Very interesting.
真有意思。

I don't like it.
我不喜歡。

They are impressed.
他們很喜歡。

Could you consider some other options?
你可以考慮看看其他選擇嗎?

Your idea is not a good one.
你的想法不好。

They have not decided.
他們還沒決定。

Please think about that some more.
請你再多想想。

It's a bad idea. Don't do it.這主意很糟。不要這樣做。

It's a good idea. keepdoing it.
好主意。繼續進行。

I'm sure it's my fault.
一定是我的錯。

It's not my fault.
不是我的錯。

It was their fault.
是他們的錯。

That is an original point of view.
很有原創性的觀點。

Your idea is stupid.
蠢想法。

They like my ideas!
他們喜歡我的想法!

People from different cultures give feedback in drastically different ways, according to Erin Meyer. Germans and Dutch express similarly and tend to misunderstand the British. Chinese tend not to criticize a coworker in front of others. Americans wrap negative opinions with positive messages. French criticize passionately with little positive feedback. Togauge how a culture handles negative opinions, find out what type of words people use.

不同文化的人,給意見的方式也極為不同,Erin Meyer這麼說。德國人和荷蘭人的表達方式接近,也比較容易誤解英國人意思。華人比較不會在其他人面前批評同事,美國人用正面訊息包裝負面意見,法國人的批評很激情,也很少正面回饋意見。要判斷一個文化怎麼給負面意見,從他們用字的類型開始。

Meyer indicates that direct cultures tend to use words which strengthen feelings: absolutely, totally, strongly. You might hear a) "This is totally unacceptable,” or “Absolutely no.” More indirect cultures use words that soften criticism, like kind of, sort of, a bit, maybe, slightly. You are also more likely to hear this from indirect culture:“We are not quite there yet,” while what it means could be b) "We are not even close.”

Meyer指出,直接型的文化用的字會讓感受變強,像是絕對,完全,強烈地。你可能會聽到「這完全不可接受」、「絕對不行」。比較不直接的文化用的字會淡化批評,比如有點,有些,一點,或許,稍微,他們也比較可能說「還有點距離」,其實意思可能是「還差得遠了。」

When working with a global team, words can be magnified or minimized based on the listener's cultural background. Soften the message when you are dealing with cultures less direct. Tag sentences like “This is just my opinion, 1) for whatever it's worth,” c)”You can take it or leave italong with your feedback. If you are facing a British boss, try to ignore the soft words surrounding the message, so that you don't get 2) chewed out for insubordination.

和來自世界的團隊工作,因為聽者的背景不同,你的意思可能被放大、縮小。面對的人如果來自比較不直接的文化,把訊息放軟,給意見最後可以說「無論如何,這只是我的看法。」「你要不要接受都可以。」如果你的老闆是英國人,請忽略圍繞著訊息的那些溫和字眼,以免因為抗命被訓一頓。

口語詞彙

1)  for whatever it's worth 無論如何
For whatever it's worth, I'll be there. 無論如何我都會到場。
也可以說for what it's worth,例如:For what it's worth, I think you can trust him. 無論如何,我覺得你可以信任他。

2) chewed out 斥責;嚴厲責備
He chewed out the staffs for being sloppy. 員工太懶散,他大罵了他們一頓。

資料來源:Harvard Business Review 

加入Line好友